Several years ago a friend asked me to look at the possibly efficacy of the herbal supplement Protandim and whether the claims of the marketers were scientifically justified. This page discusses the results of my research.
The pandemic of SARS Cov-2 infections in early 2020 created a number of controversies regarding appropriate responses. As a biomedical researcher I was very interested in how governmental policy responses were or were not related to the underlying scientific research. Consequently I have done a fair amount of reading of the evolving literature on this pandemic and statistical analyses of the associated datasets. The following describe a number of those:
- Graph of the number of positive tests for SARS Cov-2 in the state of Arizona as a function of calendar date.
- Graph of the an estimate of the effective reproduction number of positive cases as a function of calendar date for each state. Horizontal dashed grey line shows 1 where the rate of case growth is stable.
- Graph of the fraction of positive tests in the state of Arizona.
- Graph of the number of new cases of Covid-19 versus the number of tests performed in the state of Arizona.
- Graph of the number of patients hospitalized at one time versus the number of tests performed in the state of Arizona.
Cloth mask wearing by the general public
Presently there are 4 reviews of the scientific literature on whether the general public wearing cloth masks will slow the spread of Covid-19. Overall they present a mixed picture of whether the evidence supports a recommendation for the general public to wear cloth masks. They are:
McIntyre et al.which states the evidence does support such a recommendation.
- Gupta et al. which says that such wearing could be a benefit but may well be limited by compliance.
- Jefferson et al. which states that the evidence is not strong enough to recommend masks per se, but that it probably doesn't hurt to use them with other measures.
- Brainard et al. which says the evidence does not support such a recommendation.
A commentary by Mahase discusses the advantages and problems with the general public wearing cloth masks and includes other expert discussion.